November 8, 2016 – Temiskaming Shores, ON – Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario – FedNor
The Government of Canada is investing $764,550 in support of six projects that will create jobs, grow Northern Ontario’s mining sector, boost tourism, and provide infrastructure enhancements in the Nipissing-Temiskaming region.
Of the total, $485,000 will help more than 70 Northern Ontario businesses grow their operations and capitalize on economic opportunities at the 2017 Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) International Convention. The funding will enable the City of Temiskaming Shores to establish the Northern Ontario Showcase, the single largest pavilion at PDAC’s annual convention. The remaining funding will help establish a Christmas-themed marketplace in the City of Temiskaming Shores for the 2016 holiday season, and will support four infrastructure projects in the region through the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program.
Anthony Rota, Member of Parliament for Nipissing–Timiskaming, made the announcement today on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor.
- The funding announced today is provided through FedNor’s Northern Ontario Development Program, its Economic Development Initiative, as well as the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program.
- In March 2016, the Northern Ontario Showcase at PDAC featured more than 70 businesses and organizations, which resulted in increased sales and exports for participating firms of more than $4.9 million.
- Taking place in Toronto, March 5–8, 2017, PDAC‘s International Convention is the world’s leading convention and trade show for companies and organizations connected with mining and mineral exploration. Each year, the event brings together more than 900 exhibitors and over 22,000 representatives from 125 countries
“Mining and mining-related industries are the economic engine that drive many Northern Ontario communities and today’s announcement supports the continued growth and prosperity in this important sector. By investing in community infrastructure, tourism and strategic initiatives such as the Northern Ontario Showcase, our Government is helping to strengthen the economic outlook for communities and businesses throughout the region.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for FedNor
“Establishing a Northern Ontario pavilion at PDAC delivers meaningful results for participating businesses by helping them reach new markets, develop partnerships and maximize growth opportunities. The important projects announced today will help pave the way for economic growth in the region, while creating high-quality, middle-class jobs and opportunities right here in the North.”
– Anthony Rota, Member of Parliament for Nipissing–Timiskaming
“Temiskaming Shores is proud to lead the Northern Ontario Showcase initiative to help create new opportunities for Northern Ontario communities and businesses. I am thrilled that FedNor recognizes the importance of this project and is also investing in key infrastructure and economic development initiatives to ensure the success of our region.”
– Carman Kidd, Mayor, City of Temiskaming Shores
- Backgrounder: FedNor Investments Support Northern Ontario’s Mining Sector, Infrastructure and Tourism